I never thought this would be the least challenging type of dessert to do, but actually you just need to follow the steps perfectly and i think timing is important when you do the choux pastry.
You can get creative with them and stuff them with your favorite ingredients.
Ingredients for choux pastry:
– 1 Cup of flour
– 250 ml of water
– 1 Tbsp of sugar
– 100 Grams of butter
1. In a pan you bring to a simmer the water and butter.
2. Then you remove from the heat, add in the flour and stir until it forms a soft ball that’s when you know your dough is on the right track. Then put it back on the heat just for a few seconds and remove.
3. Place the mixture in a bowl, then add one egg at a time, now this step timing is very important as soon as you crack your egg inside you have to mix it in fast before you start seeing scrambled eggs at the top!!
4. You repeat this process till you have mixed in all the eggs, how will you know your dough is right? you spoon some out and twist it if you see lines then it’s excellent and it’s too watery then it’s NOT!
5. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, you place your mixture in a sandwich bag “you can be more pro and use a piping bag but i like to throw it away cause washing them is always a pain” then i cut a small piece at the tip and i place them on a baking sheet as the image below.
6. You place them inside for about 20 minutes then you increase the heat in the end. Every oven is different from the other so you have to know when they are done by looking at them and usually it’s from the color and they are suppose to puff and rise as the image below.
7. When they are done you have to leave them to cool because they are so delicate and i don’t know how but they are hollow from the inside so perfect for stuffing, btw eclairs are done the same way but they just spread the dough on the sheet as a line ” i will be posting about that soon”
For the filling use
– 300 of cream cheese
– 1 tsp of vanilla
– 1 tsp of lemon
– Grate some lemon zest
– 1 Cup powdered sugar
Mix them all in a bowl, then again the sandwich bag fill it in, using a knife grab a cream puff and from under slightly rotate it to create a hole for stuffing, and stuff them.
you can end your cream puffs by having chocolate sauce on the side, or just dip the top in and sprinkle powdered sugar 🙂
Viva la profiterole!